TRIEKOL program period III
Present program period
The research program TRIEKOL has its third program period between the years 2017 and 2022.
The research in Triekol III is structured in nine subprojects (see below). Each subproject is derived from a particular question of importance to preserve and enhance biodiversity when constructing and managing roads and railways in Sweden.
Despite linkages between some subprojects, they are intended to function as work packages, i.e. each producing scientific publication and recommendations that can be implemented in steering documents and guidelines of the Swedish Transport Agency (STA), and each with its given budget.
Subprojects will as far as possible make use of data available from previous and ongoing monitoring projects, and relate these to the international knowledge level. Some minor subprojects are focused on completing previous studies, where smaller additional research is expected to provide important knowledge.
The projects are divided in two major parts: Animals, dealing with the impacts on vertebrate population such as wildlife accidents, barrier to movement and noise disturbance, and Infrastructure habitats, dealing with the biodiversity directly related to the vegetation, such as plants, insects and other invertebrates, and pollen/nectar resources.
Subprojects of TRIEKOL III
- Wildlife adaptation of existing bridges
- Level crossings and wildlife warning systems
- Over- and underpasses for larger wildlife (Planskilda passager för större viltarter)
- Modeling of permeability and mortality effects on wildlife populations (Modellering av permeabilitet och mortalitet i viltpopulationer)
- Effect of noise measures for birds (Effekt av bulleråtgärder för fåglar)
- Amphibian passages (Groddjursåtgärder)
- Management and construction of road infrastructure habitats for biodiversity (Ekologiska nyckelfaktorer och skötsel i artrika vägkanter)
- Management and construction of rail infrastructure habitats for biodiversity (Ekologiska nyckelfaktorer och skötsel i artrika järnvägsmiljöer)
- Ecological functions of infrastructure habitats (Infrastrukturbiotopernas värden för biologisk mångfald)
Further information is available in the project plan of TRIEKOL III (revised Feb 18, 2020).
The program group consists of a program manager and a deputy program manager, as well as project managers responsible for each sub-project. The staffing of the respective sub-projects involves researchers and staff from other universities, authorities and consulting firms. The program also has chosen representatives from the STA.